FACTS about CERVICAL CANCER:
- Globally, cancer of the cervix kills one woman every 2 minutes!
- In Africa, cancer of the cervix kills more women than any other cancer.
- Cervical cancer is spread by the HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS.
- HPV is transmitted primarily through sexual activity.
- Women remain vulnerable to HPV infection throughout their lives.
- A woman can be exposed to the HPVirus at any point in her life.
- It is estimated that up to 80% of women will acquire an HPV infection in their lifetime and almost 40% of these will be with a high risk cancer-causing type.
- In South Africa approximately 8 women die daily from cervical cancer.
- Data shows that as women age, cancer causing HPV infection is more likely to become persistent and potentially lead to the development of pre-cancerous lesions and cervical cancer.
An annual PAP SMEAR with your gynecologist is recommended.
Please consider the CERVICAL CANCER VACCINATION for your daughter, from the age of 10 years.