- Breasts are painful.
- Hard and swollen especially under the armpits.
- Lumpy, shiny and tight skin.
- Nipples may become flat due to swollen and tense breasts.
- Common on day 2 to 5 when milk supply comes in.
- Caused by increase in blood flow and milk supply
- Poor latching causing poor milk flow.
- Anxiety and stress.
- Missed feeds.
- Sudden weaning.
- Wearing a good, supportive bra.
- Feed frequently.
- Place cold packs or cabbage leaves around breasts between feeds.
- Warm packs around breasts or a warm shower just before feeds.
- Allow baby to feed slightly longer on each breast.
- Manually and gently express a little milk prior to feeding to soften the areola and ensure a correct latch.
- Avoid any supplementary formula or water feeds to ensure regular stimulation and emptying of the breasts.